About Annabel Monaghan: Annabel is the author of two Young Adult novels: A Girl Named Digit, optioned by the Disney Channel, and the sequel, Double Digit. She is also the author of Does This Volvo Make My Butt Look Big?, a selection of laugh-out-loud columns that appeared in the Huffington Post, The Week, and The Rye Record. She joins me today to talk about Nora Goes Off Script, which is her adult debut novel.
In this episode, Mike and Annabel discuss:
- Annabel’s path to publishing
- What she learned during the writing process
- How Annabel crafted Nora’s character and why she chose to make Nora a mother
- How writing is therapy for Annabel
- Learn how to embrace and create opportunities for success yourself.
- Be vulnerable. By having the courage to be vulnerable in your writing, you enhance your characters and give them a sense of life, which could help you connect with your readers.
- It’s not an easy job being a mom–raising a child while accomplishing other responsibilities every single day.
- Taking the time to write down what is going through your mind is an effective way of expressing yourself, as well as processing your life.
“You’re going to be okay, just keep going. It’s not going to work out right away, but it’s going to be okay.” – Annabel Monaghan
Buy Nora Goes Off Script:
Connect with Annabel Monaghan:
Connect with Mike Carlon: