About David Winkler: David comes from Hollywood royalty and is a very successful film producer. His work includes the films Creed, Rocky Balboa, and The Mechanic. He joins us today to talk about his memoir, The Arrangement, a Love story, in which he depicts the time he spent being a sugar daddy. If that’s not a term that’s familiar to you, that will change in the next few minutes.
In this episode, Mike and David discuss:
- Why did David decided to share his story
- The lessons he learned about himself while writing his memoir
- The differences between writing a memoir and writing a screenplay
- How David came full circle in his beliefs about monogamy
- Writing about your personal life is a complicated process as you must put yourself in a vulnerable position and expose very personal details. But if writing something truly personal is your goal, then go for it — just be prepared for some fallout.
- There is nothing wrong with using a dating website. It is sometimes the place where you can unintentionally reveal your true self, without attempting to conceal aspects of yourself or your past.
- Sometimes, through your writing process, you’ll discover something about yourself that you couldn’t have predicted would change your life. And, when writing a memoir, don’t be too harsh on yourself. Don’t worry about the outcome; what matters is that you finish what you started.
- It is in writing a memoir that will allow you to be brutally honest while still trying to tell an entertaining story.
“If you go in with the best of intentions, and care and caution, you’re likely to meet somebody really interesting.” – David Winkler
Grab a copy of The Arrangement: A Love Story
Connect with David Winkler:
Connect with Mike Carlon:
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.