Imagine walking into a newspaper editor’s office, interviewing for a job as a sportswriter having never written a sports related article before, getting the gig and totally rocking it. That’s just what Carol Finizza did and I’m very excited to share her story with you today.
Carol has had a passion for storytelling since crafting articles for her college newspaper. She was a former sportswriter for the Orange County Register and a regular contributor to Orange Coast Magazine. She is the author of The Surf-Vival Handbook for Land and Sea, a girl’s guide to life at the beach. Murder on Hollywood Beach is her debut novel in The Messy Girl Murder Series.
KEY TOPICS IN THIS PODCAST
- When she discovered her talent for writing and storytelling
- How writing can be a form of therapy
- The true story that inspired Murder on Hollywood Beach
- Why aspiring writers should be fearless and to follow their passion.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM MY TALK WITH CAROL FINIZZA
- Writing is therapy. Writing can be a form of therapy and can be used as an escape from the reality of the world. It can be used to explore emotions and thoughts that might be difficult to express out loud.
- Follow your curiosity. Curiosity is fuel for authors, who follow their noses to interesting—and sometimes unlikely—places for the benefit of their readers.
- Be persistent. Writing is a talent and like any other talent it must be nurtured and developed through practice and persistence. Most authors will be rejected many times before getting that publication deal and being a successful writer means more than just having the ability to put words on paper; it requires dedication, discipline, and a willingness to continue learning and growing as an author.
- Sharing is caring. Writing communities are a wonderful place for beginners and experienced professionals alike to hone their craft. By sharing their knowledge and being generous with their time, experienced writers can help those just starting out on their writing journey.
- There’s always room for improvement. Carol’s love for writing was always there, even though she’ll be the first to tell you that she wasn’t the best at spelling or grammar. However, she was able to overcome this limitation by making herself vulnerable and asking for help from others.
WHERE TO BUY MURDER ON HOLLYWOOD BEACH
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH CAROL
Linked In: linkedin.com/in/carol-finizza-10079525
MEMORABLE QUOTE FROM CAROL
“What I would say to any writer like me, is to follow your heart. It’s a passion and you have to take the word can’t out of your vocabulary. Don’t let the obstacles of what other people say or think get in your way.”
If you liked this conversation, please tell a friend about it as well as like, rate, and review Uncorking a Story wherever you get your podcasts.